Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Women are from Venus.. Men from Mars

As I read "The New Girliness" I reflected back to a conversation I had with a male basketball player yesterday. I was telling him the difference between men and women, and was referring to an example in athletics. I asked him a simple question: "Is all your focus on basketball when you are practicing or playing or do you think about other stuff too?" He laughed as if it was almost a given and said, "All I think about is basketball when I am on the court." I started to explain to him how guys have an easier time separating their thoughts, and girls have a lot more trouble doing this. I may just be speaking for my team but I have took notice that a lot of my hockey teammates think ahead; they can't give their entire focus to the present. We may be thinking about food, boys, homework, evening plans. My basketball friend said that is the never the case with him. He then went on to explain that in a sermon he heard, the preacher talked about how men have separate boxes for their thoughts in their brain, and women had a bunch of interconnecting wires. This was just an analogy, but I have to agree with it. However, I am wondering if the reason for this is because of the recent wave of enlightened sexism. Douglass writes that women value "love, communication, beauty, and relationships." If women did not care so much about men, and their beauty and appearance, do you think that they would be able to separate their thoughts better? Not as much time would be spent on men, and appearance, and women would be able to focus more on achieving their goals, a supposed trait that men value in themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment