Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Power Hungry Men?

While reading Steinem's article "Supremacy Crimes" I was a bit shocked by the things I read. While I found that Steinem's article was extremely interesting and held some truth to it; I also thought that his writing was a bit aggressive and quick to jump to conclusions.

I thought the idea about men being pushed to commit crimes due to their addiction to power and superiority was truly interesting. It seems that men would go as far as murder to feel that power over another person, or in many cases, woman. It was disturbing and upsetting that men would go to such lengths, but it did seem likely that some men would commit these crimes due to power addiction.

What I did find a bit frustrating was that the article did not seem to include any other possibilities for the mens' dangerous, murderous actions. At the end of the article, there is no antithesis or suggestions of possible alternative reasons, but a strong declaration stating white men are driven by their thirst for power. Steinem writes, "that males are superior to females, that they must find a place in male hierarchy, and that the ability to dominate someone is so important that even a mere insult can justify lethal revenge". I am not trying to advocate for these murderers reasons for killing, but I do think that Steinem has an aggressive, accusing almost animalistic tone. I feel that no matter what racial group is in charge there will be violence against others. It is important to look at reasons for violence and try and stop the pattern, but I think that Steinem's tone is a bit too accusing and not as scholarly as I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment