Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Response

My sister works in DC and is practically obsessed with foreign policy, so naturally I have gotten an earful at various dinners. At first I was bored by her constant discussion of the topic, but as I matured I became more attentive and listened more, even voicing my opinion sometimes. While I was reading Charlotte Bunch's article I was reminded of all these conversations and arguments my family would get into over the dinner table. However as I was thinking about these conversations I realized that we never talked about feminists impact on foreign policy. I was a bit ashamed when I came to this realization since I am a woman and feel that I should be aware of women's impact on governmental decisions and policies.
Reading through the article I found myself focusing on Muslim women's struggles. I cannot imagine living in a community where women were not given many of the rights that men took for granted. I kept thinking about our Colgate community and how if I were born a Muslim woman I would most likely not be taking this course right now. Though it was not the point of her article, Bunch's writing really made me think of all the luxuries and opportunities I have on a daily basis.

3 comments:

  1. I had a similar response to the articles as Caroline did. One quote in Abu-Lughod's article that really caught me off guard was, "...cultures in which First Ladies give speeches versus others where women shuffle around silently in burqas" (784). While I know Lughod did not say this quote in the same context, this quote really made me stop to think. For my entire life I have taken things as simple as listening to the First Lady give a speech for granted. Furthermore, as a junior who is starting to think about life post-graduation, I have never really sat down to think about how much progress our country has made. The fact that it is a given that I am to go into the workplace after graduation is a big deal, and one that other women in other countries do not get to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree with both of these comments and was also struck by how little I had thought about my own luxuries, I was really interested by the comment made by Abu-Lughod where she basically said that we can't completely understand their culture. Although we don't want to be complete cultural relativists we should also take into account what may be different about their society. Abu-Lughod points out that many of the women feel that the veil is a protective and cultural device. The doctor who she discusses in the article who stood up and refused to wear the burqa is a cultural icon to people of the United States. However, what's interesting is that she still wears a headscarf and doesn't think twice about it. These certain signs of respect are embedded in the culture. I also thought it was really great that she related it to something I could think about. When you're around an elder or someone you respect in Muslim countries, it is a sign of respect to be modest. It's like going to church or seeing your grandparents. I don't feel oppressed because I wear a nice sweater and a skirt or pants when I go see them. I do it because I know that's what they expect and it makes them feel good to see me dressed up instead of in jeans and a tshirt. She also related the women's dress to family values. In their culture, they respect family values in a different way than we do here. Although I think it's notable to think about the luxuries we have in dress, we also have to consider their reasons for doing what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this post and most of the comments that have been posted below. I also feel that as a country and as most countries in Western society we have come a long way with the amount of opportunities that are available to women as seen throughout Susan Douglas’ Enlightened Sexism. I agree with your point that I cannot even imagine what it would be like to live in a country where you did not have many rights as a woman. I also agree with Britt’s point in that because of the time frame that we have grown up in, many females often take for granted things as simple as the first Lady speech because we are naive or do not fully understand women’s history.

    ReplyDelete