Monday, February 7, 2011

After reading the 3 pieces for tomorrow's class, I was especially struck by Frye's article. I think that it is true that we do have to recognize both sides of oppression against men and women. If men do anything remotely against the norm, whether it is being too whipped by a girl, dressing more metrosexual, crying over something, or not attempting to hook up with girls, they are automatically classified as gay or "too soft". As I have more and more friends who are coming out as I reached a University level education, I have found that boys are less accepting of boys being gay compared to girls being accepting of girls being gay. If I could to estimate, I could say I have about 10-15 friends who are homosexual, but if I asked a good guy friend how many they have they would most like say either none or 1.
Frye is correct when she mentions that boys are not allowed to show emotion. I can speak from first hand experience when I agree with this statement, because growing up with four brothers has shown me this. My little brother Matt used to cry every single time he had to get a shot, but would he ever admit this to his friends? No. In order to have power in the social world, men have to have a tougher skin.
I think that the argument that struck me the most in Frye's article was her debate about whether or not holding a door for a woman is disrespectful. She argued that it is disrespectful because it automatically assumes that its a "burden" for us to open a door ourselves and that we are "incapable". I do not agree with this. I think that it is respectful for someone to hold the door for a woman and that if a man just let the door shut in a woman's face, then that would also be considered sexist, because that action basically says "I don't have enough time to waste on you" I think that this is an extreme measure to claim that this is an act of sexism, but I am starting to realize that a lot of these feminists do take extreme measures to get their point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment