Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Privileged

Both of these articles had similar themes to them. They all have to do with the issue of racism intertwined with sexism. Lorde's piece reflects on how it is very arrogant "to assume any discussion of feminist theory without examining our many differences, and without a significant input from poor women, Black and Third World women, and lesbians." I think that she does have a point when she says this. if we are going to call this a women's movement, we do have to make sure we include all races of women. I think that this is Lorde's main point. I felt as if a lot of her other points were hard to follow, and I thought that she almost seemed bitter about how the panel asked her to speak and she dwelled too much on that.

In McIntosh's article, she reflects more on racism. She talks about how white privilege is an invisible knapsack with special provisions etc. She then unpacks her own knapsack and comes to the realization of what she gets away with in life, and how her life is easier then those who have a different skin tone. One of the points that struck me was when McIntosh said I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race" I haven't ever thought about this point until now and I just have realized how valid of a point this is. Those who have the privileges to succeed need to work together to straighten out the system so that a point of equality can be reached.

I also have to agree with Caroline when I reflect back on my lower, middle and high school experience. I went to an all girl's school that was one of the most diverse single sex schools in the country. I then went on to one of the most diverse boarding schools in the country. I had friends from all over the world. Choate, the high school I attended, had students from 40 different states and 40 different countries. Everyone had different financial situations. When I look at my experience at Colgate thus far, there is not much diversity among my friends even though Colgate claims to have a diverse student body. I also think that a good number of people here are in similar financial situations. I agree with Caroline when she says that it depends on the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment